set to return for the Dodgers

zhangzk
Zach Ertz went out wide in the formation in yet another play-calling twist by Philadelphia coach Doug Pederson Ryan Johansen Jersey , facing one-on-one coverage from New England safety Devin McCourty with the Patriots leading the Eagles by one point late in the fourth quarter of the Super Bowl.

Ertz cut inside on a slant pattern, causing McCourty to stumble and trail the route, and moved into perfect position to catch the pass from Nick Foles and launch his body across the goal line with 2:21 left .

The NFL’s frequently contested and often confusing process-of-the-catch rule left some doubt for the Eagles, with a nerve-wracking wait for the replay review to confirm the touchdown before the Eagles were officially in the lead.

There’s no mystery about this, though: Ertz has turned himself into one of the league’s elite tight ends.

”He just really had a solid year, all the way around,” right tackle Lane Johnson said. ”He really improved on his blocking this offseason, took a lot of things to heart. Just became a better football player, man, and caught that touchdown there at the end. I just couldn’t be happier for him. He works his tail off.”

Ertz had seven catches for 67 yards to help Foles and the Eagles outlast the Patriots 41-33 in a Super Bowl that featured the most combined yardage gained in the history of the NFL in the modern era.

The most important of the nine times Foles threw his way was that play that culminated with the ball popping up in the air after Ertz landed on the green Eagles paint in the end zone.

Ertz caught it on the ricochet, but the key for the legality of the play was going to be whether he turned himself into a runner before crossing the plane or if he was still in the process of making the catch. The former was the ruling.

”That seemed like an eternity over there. I mean Phillip Gaines Jersey , if they overturn that, I don’t even know what’s a catch anymore,” Ertz said.

”I had three steps in the ground. I extended for it. My back leg dragged on the ground. The city of Philly would’ve been hot if they’d have overturned that. Luckily for our city they did not.”

With a career-high eight touchdown catches with 824 receiving yards in 14 games during the regular season, Ertz came through with the kind of performance that he needed after a trying year for both him and the team in 2016.

During a December defeat that season in Cincinnati, Pederson said afterward that not all of his players gave maximum effort. Ertz was caught on camera sliding through a pair of Bengals defenders , including hard-hitting linebacker Vontaze Burfict, during one play while quarterback Carson Wentz scrambled out of bounds.

”I never really shied away from that situation I had to endure. There were some people that would say it was definitely just. It was tough. I love that the fans never gave up on me,” Ertz said. ”I told them at the time that they would never question my effort again, and I’m lucky to be in this situation playing for this city, and I never take it for granted.”

With Rob Gronkowski on the other side, Ertz was automatically going to be the bridesmaid tight end in this game  Authentic Khalil Mack Jersey , despite his emergence as one of the NFL’s best.

Now Ertz will not only have the Super Bowl ring that Gronkowski already possessed in double, but he’ll be able to catch up in the trophy case at home. His wife, Julie Ertz, has a World Cup championship from 2015 for the U.S. national soccer team . They were married last March.

”She’s just so happy for me,” Ertz said, adding: ”Our marriage is extremely strong even though we’re pulled in 1,000 different directions.”

A look at what’s happening around the majors today:

MIGGY’S DONE

Miguel Cabrera’s season is over, leaving Detroit without its biggest star at a time when there wasn’t much else for Tigers fans to latch onto. Cabrera ruptured his left biceps tendon on a swing Tuesday night, ending the two-time MVP’s year just a couple of weeks after he returned from a DL stint due to a right hamstring strain. The 35-year-old Cabrera will have surgery this week. He batted .301 with three homers and 22 RBIs for a team that wasn’t expected to compete in the AL Central.

POWER PLAY

Mike Trout leads the majors with 23 home runs and he’s gone deep twice each of the last two nights, becoming the first player with consecutive multihomer games at Safeco Field in Seattle. But that hasn’t been enough for the Angels, who lost both times. Trout tries to keep it going at the plate when Los Angeles faces left-hander Marco Gonzales (7-3 Blake Bortles Jersey Black , 3.28 ERA) and the first-place Mariners again. Gonzales has allowed only three earned runs in his past five starts, a span of 33 1/3 innings. Garrett Richards (4-4, 3.26) pitches for the Angels. He shut out the Mariners over 6 2/3 innings on May 4 but hasn’t won since.

BRUISED IN THE BRONX

One night after the Yankees hit Washington star Bryce Harper with a pair of pitches, the teams play again in New York. Could the Nationals look to retaliate? ”No ill feelings at all,” Harper said after his team lost 3-0. The slugger gave Washington a scare when he fell to the ground in pain after getting plunked on the right elbow by a 90 mph pitch from CC Sabathia. Harper remained in the game but then came out after he was hit on the left foot by Dellin Betances’ 89 mph slider in the eighth. The 2015 NL MVP said he had an X-ray on the toe and he’s fine. ”Elbow feels OK, and the big toe just hurts a little bit,” he explained. Harper leads the NL with 19 homers but is batting just .215 since May 1. He had been hit by a pitch only once previously this season and had not been dinged twice in a game since August 2013 at Atlanta.

JAKE-BITTEN

The Mets try to snap a most puzzling skid when Jacob deGrom pitches against Atlanta. DeGrom has a 1.24 ERA in his past four starts, and yet New York has lost each of those outings. Only the Marlins and Reds have worse records in the NL than the Mets, and general manager Sandy Alderson is shouldering the blame. ”When you’re scoring runs at the anemic rate that we have, something hasn’t worked. So from that standpoint, I take full responsibility for where we are Mark Stone Jersey ,” he said Tuesday. As the All-Star Game next month and the July 31 trade deadline approach, Alderson acknowledged he would consider retooling if the Mets’ record doesn’t improve.

GERRIT GOING OFF

Gerrit Cole aims to keep up his stellar season when Houston faces Oakland. Cole (7-1, 2.16 ERA) has won five straight decisions and entered Tuesday leading the AL with 124 strikeouts. He has yet to allow more than three earned runs in a start this season. Paul Blackburn (1-0, 1.50) is up for the A’s following a terrific season debut last week against Kansas City.

MAEDA IT BACK

Kenta Maeda is set to return for the Dodgers against Texas, though most of his usual rotation-mates are still on the disabled list. Maeda has been out with a hip injury since May 29, and he’ll come off the DL a day after rookie right-hander Walker Buehler was added to the list. Buehler, Clayton Kershaw, Rich Hill, Hyun-Jin Ryu and Dennis Santana remain on the DL for the Dodgers.

 Philadelphia Eagles Customized Jerseys