missed his 12th straight

zzkzhang
TORONTO — Canadian right-hander Mike Soroka says his start Tuesday for the Atlanta Braves at the Rogers Centre will be like making a second debut.

The 20-year-old from Calgary will be making his fifth major league start Kyler Fackrell Jersey , but Tuesday night in the opener of a two-game set against the Toronto Blue Jays he will be pitching against the team he grew up watching and with friends in attendance.

Soroka (2-1, 2.57 ERA) will be facing Blue Jays left-hander Jaime Garcia (2-5, 5.71), who is 3-1 with a 3.62 ERA in eight career starts against Atlanta.

It also will be a return for first-year Braves general manager Alex Anthopoulos, who was the Blue Jays GM from October 2009 through 2015.

“Even though I’m from the other side of Canada, it’s the one team you grew up watching,” Soroka told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “It’ll be pretty special.”

He has pitched before at the Rogers Centre, as a 15-year-old in a tournament.

“It’s almost like a second debut of sorts,” Soroka said. “Just get out there, knowing that a bunch of friends are going to be coming there, a lot of friends who’ve been Blue Jays fans for a long time too. … I’m just going to be familiar with the Rogers Centre Clinton Portis Jersey , so that’s going to be cool too. And I’ll be out there on a mound I’ve been on before too, so that’s pretty awesome.”

Soroka is coming off his best major league outing. After spending a month on the disabled list with right shoulder inflammation, he carried a no-hitter into the seventh inning of a 2-0 win over the New York Mets Wednesday. He left after 6 1/3 innings, allowing one hit and one walk and adding four strikeouts.

Soroka does not expect to feel more excitement in this start Tuesday than he did in his previous four.

“There’s a certain amount of amped up you can have in the big leagues,” Soroka said. “I don’t think I’ll be any more amped up than I was my last four, especially because it’s a new thing right now. I don’t think I’m running short on adrenalin.”

The Braves (42-29) are in first place in the National League East. They have won two in a row and six of their past eight after defeating the San Diego Padres 4-1 Sunday.

The Blue Jays (33-38) have won three in a row and seven of their past 10 games after completing a three-game sweep Sunday with an 8-6 win over the Washington Nationals, who are second in the NL East.

The Blue Jays have won seven straight home games for the first time since July 2-8, 2016. After struggling at home earlier in the season, they are now 19-19 at the Rogers Centre. They are 6-2 against the NL this season.

Toronto right fielder Randal Grichuk, an early-season disappointment who also spent time on the disabled list with a right knee sprain, had two solo home runs and four RBIs Sunday in going 3-for-3 with a walk. He has hit five homers in his past 12 games.

“I feel like we’ve found a lot of consistency when we’ve been playing here lately Chase Roullier Jersey ,” Grichuk said of the Blue Jays’ recent success at home. “Obviously that (0-3) Tampa Bay series (against the Rays at Tropicana Field) threw a wrench at us, but I feel like we’re swinging the bat well, and when our pitchers go out and give us a chance to win, we’ve been doing a good job of being able to score and get some leads. Hopefully that just continues.”

Another early-season disappointment, Toronto second baseman Devon Travis was 2-for-4 with a double Sunday and is batting .345 (20-for-58) with three homers and eight RBIs in his past 19 games.

The timing of a possible return from the disabled list of third baseman Josh Donaldson (tight left calf) is not known yet.

The Braves, meanwhile, will have catcher Kurt Suzuki available for the game Tuesday. He was struck in the head on a backswing during the second inning Sunday at SunTrust Park and left the game. Tests indicated that he did not have a concussion.

“It was kind of a precautionary thing,” Braves manager Brian Snitker said. “He got hit good. The doctors wanted to look at him and I’m sure he wanted to come back out. But something like that is not something you want to mess with.”

Blake Wheeler and the playoff-bound Winnipeg Jets were just glad to get a win against an Ottawa Senators team playing its final home game in a disappointing season.

Wheeler scored twice and Andrew Copp had a goal and an assist as the Winnipeg Jets beat the Ottawa Senators 6-5 on Monday night.

Josh Morrissey, Brandon Tanev and Mathieu Perreault also scored for the Jets, who pulled five points behind first-place Nashville in the Central Division with three games remaining. Adam Lowry and Mark Scheifele each had two assists, and Connor Hellebuyck stopped 32 shots.

”They played hard and didn’t quit so you have to give them credit Akiem Hicks Jersey ,” Wheeler said. ”It’s two points, it’s a win. Obviously there’s areas we can be better, but we scored one more goal than they did.”

Thomas Chabot and Matt Duchene each scored twice and Christian Wolanin got his first NHL goal for Ottawa. Craig Anderson finished with 34 saves.

”Fans probably loved seeing 11 goals, but for a coach not so much,” Ottawa coach Guy Boucher said. ”We did enough offensively to win the game, but when you don’t defend as well as you attack offensively it makes it difficult.”

The Senators pulled to 5-4 at 4:47 of the third as Wolanin beat Hellebuyck glove side. However, Perreault restored the Jets’ two-goal lead on the power play with 5:22 remaining.

Duchene pulled Ottawa within one again on Duchene’s second power-play goal of the ninth with 1:05 to go.

The Senators trailed 3-0 less than 12 minutes into the game, before Chabot got them on the scoreboard as he beat Hellebuyck with 1:34 left in the opening period. Ottawa captain Erik Karlsson recorded an assist on the play, giving him his fifth straight 60-point season and seventh of his career.

Duchene pulled the Senators within one 1:28 into the second.

However, Tanev scored short-handed nearly five minutes later to push the Jets’ lead to 4-2.

Ottawa got within one again as Chabot scored his second of the night for his first multigoal game with just over eight minuts left in the second, but Winnipeg scored again less than a minute later with Wheeler picking up his second.

After the game Geron Christian Jersey , Karlsson picked up the game puck before skating to the locker room. While he downplayed the significance of the act, it might have been his last time on home ice in Ottawa. The star defenseman was the subject of talks heading into the trade deadline in late February, and there’s speculation he could be dealt in the offseason.

”I don’t know why I did it, it was just laying there,” Karlsson said. ”I didn’t really think about that (being my last game) and I didn’t think that you guys (the media) would ever pick that up either, but there’s a lot of cameras out there.”

Karlsson has one year remaining on his contract before becoming an unrestricted free agent after next season, and while the Senators say they want to re-sign the 27-year-old he could be moved if the two sides reach a new deal.

Ottawa wraps up the season with three road games, but there’s a chance Karlsson will not make the trip – something he said he hadn’t given much thought to.

”I read a lot of things and I don’t read too much into it, but obviously the word is out there from you guys that it might be my last home game,” he said. ”But it’s not something I thought about going into this game and it’s not something I’ll probably think about for a while.”

Copp opened the scoring just 2:42 into the game as he pounced on a rebound in front. Morrissey made it 2-0 with a shot from the point and Wheeler’s first extended the lead to 3-0 just 21 seconds later.

NOTES: Ottawa’s Mark Stone missed his 12th straight game with a leg injury. … Winnipeg D Dustin Byfuglien was given the night off.

UP NEXT

Jets: At Montreal on Tuesday night before closing the season with two home games.

Senators: At Buffalo on Wednesday night to open a season-ending three-game trip.

 Adidas Mikko Rantanen Jersey